Saturday, December 18, 2010

See Black Swan

Okay, so I don't really like dance movies most of the time, and I usually don't go around promoting them "OMG SEE STEP UP 3D ITS LIKE THIIIRRDDD DIMENSION I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT DIMENSION WE LIVE IN OR WHAT A PAS DE BOURREE THIS IS AWESSOOMMEE DANCE YA!" The reason for this is because they try to make movies about the dance but they just can't do it the same way that Hollywood musicals of the past could or they try to make it awesome with hot muscly men and hip hop music or doing pointe to Michael Jackson in order to get into the New York City Ballet (sorry center stage)

Thank Hollywood for Darren Aronofsky.
Why do I love him so much? It started with a past boyfriend showing me The Machinist. Dark and twisted, gross but you can't stop watching as someones life falls apart. This is how this movie is.
As a dancer, yes I appreciate this movie for the fact that it is based on one of the most popular classical ballet pieces, ever. But that's not what this movie really is about.
What is it about then? I mean perhaps you want to figure it out or you have your own opinion... but the darkness that comes from the inside of a person, even the sweetest person.
It does however actually relate to most dancers, even if it is in a very over exaggerated way, I know I have felt this way.

Every dancer sees that one person and compares themselves to them. They want to be them in one shape or form... I wish my foot pointed like hers, god I wish my extension was like that.. I def have that leotard and I most def don't look like that in it... she can do a triple pirouette? yea.. well... I'll make a fool of myself trying to do one then because I want to be that good too. Yea. All been there.
There is also something I felt from the main character, Nina. As a dancer I like to get lost in the character I portray... Thankfully I have never had to go so far as she did... but its a commitment that dancers have to make. You can't just walk on a stage and say "today I am going to dance the part of Juliet" and not believe that you are actually her.. that you actually love that boy across the stage from you.





I feel like I am not expressing myself the way I want to about it... like I can't say it correctly. But if you are a dancer, go and see this movie and you will understand. You will sit there and think to yourself "This is how it really is... sometimes.. this is really how I feel"

Gah.. so good.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review! I am hoping to see the movie this week...cant wait!

    ReplyDelete